When it rains, it pours.

Sunday night just after 9pm, I was coming into the house from putting sheets in Rose Arbor and Alyssa met me at the door. Somehow right after I came in, she slipped and hit the cabinets under our gift shop area. She grabbed her foot, then let it go and began to screech. After sitting with her on the couch and looking at her foot and briefly feeling it, I packed her up and took her to the ER.

We had to wait and wait and wait. They finally took an x-ray at like 11pm. She broke her toe and because of how it was, they had to realign it. Alyssa doesn't want her feet touched on a good day. If anyone looked at it last night, she told them not to.  She actually did not cry once we got in the van to go except for the x-ray.

The doctor said that we could do one of two things. We could hold her down while he got the toe straight and then wrapped it and the toe next to it with tape or he could give her a shot and put her out. We went back and forth and back and forth and finally decided it would be easiest for her if we put her out.

Just before 2am, two nurses gave her a shot in each thigh. Within about three minutes, she started looking confused and looked up at me and said five or six times over and over “Mama. Mama. Mama.” And her head fell back in my arms and I cried. Her eyes stayed open the entire time, kind of flitting around and they let me hold her in my lap. They hooked her up to all of the monitors to watch her vitals. The doctor yanked and pulled on her toe and got it straight and wrapped. They put a gauze over her foot and then we began trying to wake her up. They had told me she would be out for 20 minutes. It was way longer and I was scared to death that she wasn't going to wake up. She would blink and eventually move her eyes towards our voices. Then she'd try to swing her head in the direction of sound. And eventually she was able to make eye contact and look at me, but couldn't hold her head or body or talk. By the time we left, she was speaking in a very slurred voice and attempting to lick a popsicle. She looked at one of the nurses and said “You poked me”.   We didn't get home until 3:30am.

Two broken bones in 4 months.  I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend with her.


2 thoughts on “When it rains, it pours.

  1. how terrifying for you. i would have been scared to death. i’m glad it was just a toe and not her foot bones that needed a cast. you are a good mother.
    “Lord, you heal the broken hearted. Please heal this beautiful child’s foot. Protect her and keep her safe from harm. May her angel be big and bulky to take the brunt of the assault as she grows up.”
    IN HIM

  2. Poor Alyssa! I have broken 2 toes myself- they are so painful because they can’t be put in a cast and we must bear all our weight on them- and yes, it does seem that you always break a second toe! I am glad to read that Alyssa’s toe isn’t healing anymore! Blessings. Glenys

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s